Colorado Potato Frico – Kevin Clarke
2012 San Luis Valley Potato Festival – Professional Chef Cook-Off. Variation on the Northern Italian Frico con patate.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 2 pounds Colorado Yukon Gold or other waxy type potato – shredded.
- 8 oz. Yellow Onion, small dice
- 1 Tbs. Olive Oil or bacon drippings
- ½ C Chicken Stock – low sodium if available
- 8 oz. Jumpn’ Good Goat Dairy Queso Enchilada**
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
1. Wash the potatoes and shred using a box grater or food processor; leave the skins on for nutrition & visual appeal.
2. Sweat onions in fat or olive oil over medium heat until translucent and just beginning to turn brown.
3. Add the potatoes and the chicken stock; reduce the heat and cook until the stock has been absorbed and the potatoes are cooked (approximately 10 minutes)
4. Sprinkle the cheese, salt, and pepper over the potato & onion mixture, shaking the pan so that some of the onion reaches the bottom of the pan. Continue cooking over medium high heat until the cheese just starts to brown on the edges of the pan.
5. Flip the Frico like a pancake and continue cooking on the other side until just brown.
6. Serve with your favorite sides – A good Colorado Micro-Brew goes very well.
Equipment: 9” heavy bottomed sauté pan, spatula, box grater of food processor for shredding potatoes & cheese.
**The original Italian dish uses montesio cheese – the age of the cheese dictates the final quality of the dish.