Creamy Potato Leek Soup with Tangy Tarragon Drizzle – USPB
With only 280 calories per serving, this warm and eye-catching soup is perfect for the cool weather and your healthy “New Year, New You” lifestyle, while also giving in to the flavor and creaminess your taste buds crave.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium (5.3 ounce) russet potatoes, peeled and cut into½-inch cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, lightly toasted and torn in to small pieces
- 1 cup low-fat evaporated milk
- Tangy Tarragon Drizzle
- 1/4 cup reduced fat or fat-free mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tarragon leaves for garnish (if desired)
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, melt butter and olive oil together over medium heat. Add leeks, shallots and onions and stir to combine and coat with melted butter. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook until vegetables are softened, stirring frequently, about 10-15 minutes.
Increase heat to high and add chicken broth, cubed potatoes and bay leaves. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft and tender, about 12-15 minutes. Remove half the potatoes and set aside. Add toasted bread and cook until bread begins to dissolve, about 5 more minutes. Remove bay leaves. Puree soup until smooth using a blender or food processor. Stir in reserved potatoes and evaporated milk. Top with Tangy Tarragon Drizzle before serving.
Tangy Tarragon Drizzle
Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. May be covered and refrigerated until ready to use. To serve, drizzle on soup and garnish with tarragon leaves.
Calories: 280 Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 25mg Sodium: 820mg Vitamin C: 0.25mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 9g Potassium: 731mg