Mediterranean Mashed Potatoes – USPB
It’s Tater Tuesday and we’re celebrating potatoes as a foundational food in the traditional Mediterranean Diet. This healthy twist on traditional mashed potatoes combines olives, basil, sun-dried tomato and Italian cheeses for Mediterranean flair.
- 1 1/4 lbs. russet, red or yellow potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup each nonfat plain yogurt and fat-free milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons heart-healthy buttery spread
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Italian blend shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup julienne sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 (2.2-oz.) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook for 10 minutes or until tender; drain well. Transfer back to pot and mash well, then stir in yogurt, milk, buttery spread and salt. Gently stir in remaining ingredients and cook for a 2 to 3 minutes more to heat through. Makes 4 servings.
Cal: 240 Chol: 10mg Sodium: 440mg
Fat: 8g Vitamin C 50% Potassium: 685mg
Carb: Fiber: 3h Protein: 10g