Grilled Potato Salad with Goat Cheese, Roasted Garlic and Citrus Champagne Vinaigrette
(Serve this side dish with grilled fish or steaks or as main course salad)
- 3 tablespoons citrus champagne vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice and 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- 12 small Colorado Red potatoes
- 1 head of garlic, roasted (see below)
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 1 cup frisee leaves
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1 pound aged goat cheese, cut into 12 equal pieces
To roast garlic:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Take two heads of garlic and remove the papery outer layer
Slice approximately half an inch off the top of each head to expose the cluster of cloves
Place garlic, cut side up, on a foil-lined baking sheet or in a baking dish
Drizzle 1 teaspoon of extra virgin oil on top of each head of garlic
Bring up sides of foil and seal the garlic, or, if using a baking dish, cover it
Roast for 40-45 minutes
Allow to cool, then gently squeeze individual cloves out on plate to cool.
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water for 12-15 minutes, just until fork tender. Drain the potatoes and allow them to cool. When cool, slice them in half, or into thirds, if large.
2. Have all the salad ingredients washed and ready for final assembly. Tear the arugula, frisse, and spinach leaves into bite-sized pieces. Lightly toss the potatoes with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill over a medium fire for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Place the potatoes in a large bowl, add the lettuce greens, and just enough vinaigrette to coat lightly. Gently mix in the tarragon.
3. To serve, divide the salad among serving plates, mounding it in the center. Arrange two thin slices of goat cheese across from each other on the salad. Add two – three cloves of roasted garlic to each plate and sprinkle the chopped chives over the salad. Place any additional vinaigrette in a serving dish. Serve.