Tomato Potato Florentine – USPB
This Valentine’s Day, warm up your sweetie with this yummy Tomato Potato Florentine Soup that is quick to make, allowing you to spend more time together and less time in the kitchen.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced celery
- 1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth (reduced sodium)
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes (1 26-oz. jar marinara sauce)
- 1 lb. russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons dry basil
- Garlic salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
Heat oil in a large saucepan; add onion, celery and carrots and cook for 5 minutes to lightly brown. Stir in stock, tomatoes, potatoes and basil. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly, then puree in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pour back into saucepan and stir in spinach; cook for a minute or 2 more to wilt spinach.