Valley Spud Nuggets – Chef Scott Smith
2011 San Luis Valley Potato Professional Chef Cook-Off 4th Place
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Potatoes, Mashed or riced
- 2 Eggs
- 8 tsp Vegetable Oil
- ½ Cup Milk
- 3 Cups Homemade self-rising flour
- 2 tsp Orange Zest
- ½ Cup Cinnamon Sugar
1. Mix sugar and potatoes until the consistency of paste. Add eggs and beat. Add vegetable oil through orange zest. More plain all-purpose flour may be added if necessary.
2. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll to ½” thickness. Cut into approximately 36 pieces.
3. Heat cooking oil to 370 Degrees Fahrenheit on a deep fat thermometer.
4. Drop nuggets into the hot fat. Fry for 1 ½ minutes, turn, cook for 1 ½ minutes more. Place cooked nuggets into paper lined bowl and toss with cinnamon sugar mixture.
(Homemade self-rising flour = 1 cup all purpose flour + 1 2/3 tsp baking powder)
Servings: 12 (3 nuggets/serving)