Zuppa la Sopa de Papita Madrill (2014 SLV Potato Festival) – David Madrill (Southern Colorado Computer Services)
David and Southern Colorado Computer Services won 1st place in the Savory category with this recipe for the 2014 SLV Potato Festival’s Downtown Taste-Testing Tour.
Servings: 35 8 ounces
- 3 packages bacon, chopped
- 3 small, yellow onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoon minced garlic
- 15 russet potatoes
- 3 cups chicken consome (to taste)
- 3 quarts water
- 9 mini rolls of sausage, 4 hot, 5 mild or regular was used for this recipe
- 6 bundles kale, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 quarts heavy whipping cream
Cut potatoes into quarters, rinse and set aside.
In a frying pan, fry bacon and onions together. Cook onions untill they reach a clear color. Once onions are done, add garlic, cook until garlic is done.
In a large pot, add water, potatoes, chicken consome and bacon mixture. Bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, cook sausage in a frying pan.
When sausage is done add it to the potato mixture in the pot, along with the heavy whipping cream and kale. Continue to cook on medium high until the potatoes are cooked and tender.