Portable Egg & Colorado Potato Mini Frittatas
Recipe by: : Allen Tran, MS, RD, CSSD
Mini potato and egg frittatas are prepared in a muffin tin, perfect for on-the-go pre-workout breakfasts. A range of flavor customization means there’s a frittata option for everyone to enjoy!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 lb. medium-size red and yellow potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup 1/4-inch diced red bell pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup finely crushed seasoned croutons
- Preheat oven to 400°F and coat 12 muffin cups liberally with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place potatoes, onion and bell pepper in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and poke a small hole to vent. Microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Place equal amounts in muffin cups.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk and seasonings in a large measuring cup; pour equal amounts into each muffin cup and top with crushed croutons.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until eggs are puffed and lightly browned. Let cool slightly, then loosen from muffin cups with a butter knife or other small knife.
- These mini frittatas store great in the freezer. Place leftover egg “muffins” in a Ziploc bag and arrange in one single flat layer. Store them in the freezer. To reheat, put in the microwave for 1 minute.
Add 1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder to beaten egg mixture.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories: 210, Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 215mg, Sodium: 630mg, Carbohydrates: 30g, Fiber: 3g, Potassium: 208mg, Protein: 11g, Vitamin C: 30mg
Italian Florentine with Sun-Dried Tomato and Spinach
Omit red bell pepper and toss 1/4 cup minced sun-dried tomatoes and 1/4 cup frozen, thawed and squeezed dry chopped spinach with potato mixture. Add 1/2 teaspoon dried basil for extra flavor.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories: 220, Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 215mg, Sodium: 660mg, Carbohydrates: 31g, Fiber: 4g, Potassium: 304mg, Protein: 12g, Vitamin C: 13mg
Toss 1 1/2 oz. thinly sliced and chopped deli ham with potato mixture. Add 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or rosemary for extra flavor.