Recipe by: Potatoes USA
A blend of tender potatoes and ancient grains and sautéed with aromatic vegetables. These are great topped with an avocado, crispy piece of salmon, or fried egg.
Potato & Ancient Grain Hash Mixture
- 6 cups Onion, yellow, diced, 3/8″ dice
- 12 cups Kale, Lacinato, stemmed, cleaned and torn, chopped
- 6 cups Hash Brown Potato Shreds (Frozen or Dehy), cooked and well browned
- 6 cups Diced or Cubed Potatoes (Frozen or Dehy), cooked and well browned
- 6 cups Bell Pepper, red, diced, 3/8″ dice
- 6 cups Bell Pepper, green diced, 3/8″ dice
- 1-1/2 cups Faro, cooked (Fresh or Frozen IQF), cooked
- 3/4 cup Roasted Tomatoes, drained well and chopped
- 6 Tablespoons Dehydrated Potato Flakes
- 6 Tablespoons Garlic, Chopped
- 6 fluid ounces Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Plant based meat, chorizo (4 lbs) or sausage (24 each links), cooked
- Sliced Avocado
- Diced Tomatoes
- Grilled Salmon
- Fried Egg
- Fresh Herbs
- For the Sofrito-style base, sauté onions 4-5 minutes until softened, add garlic and sauté 1 more minute.
- Add bell peppers and sauté 10 or more minutes until all are softened and beginning to color.
- Add cleaned and roughly chopped kale and cook additional 15-20 minutes until kale is tender.
- Once kale is tender, combine Sofrito base with cooked grains, roasted tomatoes, browned potato shreds, dehydrated potato flakes, browned diced or cubed potatoes, cooked plant-based meat and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with optional toppings, such as avocado, fresh herbs, or an egg.
Can be served warm or cold. For cold, let rest refrigerated for at least 60 minutes and up to 2 days.
Alternative: Shape mixture into 6 ounce patties by hand or by using a portion scoop and cook patties packed into ring molds on a flat top or in a pan, browning well on both sides.